Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Someone files an insurance claim in good faith for a stolen

Someone files an insurance claim in good faith for a stolen bracelet. Police report made and a P.I. set up a video to observe suspected thief in the home where jewelry is kept.
Nothing suspicious comes of this investigation. The insurance company pays coverage on the claim. Later, the bracelet is found in the owner's second home. What is the legal responsibility of the claimant in this case. Must the insurance money be returned?

TexLawyer :

Good morning. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

From a purely legal perspective, there is no obligation on the claimant's part. Since the person did not have an illegal intent when the claim was made or paid, the claimant has not broken any laws.

TexLawyer :

However, the claimant should carefully read their insurance policy, because it likely addresses this sort of situation.

Customer:

good morning.

TexLawyer :

While there isn't a legal obligation, there may be one created by contract.

Customer:

Is someone there?

TexLawyer :

In fact, I'd be very surprised if the policy did not address this kind of situation.

TexLawyer :

Can you see my responses?

TexLawyer :

It appears you may be having difficulty viewing my responses on the chat. I'll switch to a Q&A format, which usually corrects the problem.