How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a sub-consultant with a contract on A/E design project

This answer was rated:

I am a sub-consultant with a contract on A/E design project and the architect added a substantial scope change but is refusing to pay after we did the design and is saying he will not pay for the additional design work, we have to do it after we already did the original design based on his original (flawed) design. We billed for the work we did and he said that we have to make the changes without increasing our fee even though the additional work was added after we completed the first design.

Question: Can I file a lien against the Owner for payment of the $3,000 we are owed? I do not want to sue the Electrical Design firm that the architect hired (who holds the contract for M&E from the architect) as he is in the same boat we are and we cannot get paid until he gets paid. This Architect thinks he can just not pay and we will have no recourse (he will probably hire another M&E firm to fix his mistakes and pay them what he owes us is my guess). Anyway, if I can, and before the project is completed and the Architect is fully paid, I would like to file a lien and have the money owed us under the original contract paid before he gets his funds.

Dear Lynne, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,


Yes, you can file a mechanics' lien for the amount which is owed to you. Designs supplied to a property are within the scope of contemplated mechanics' liens which can be filed,





Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,


Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,





Andrea, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you