How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116709
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a single mother of 2 young children, age 7 and 5. I have plans to

This answer was rated:

I am a single mother of 2 young children, age 7 and 5. I have plans to translocate the children to UK in the near future as I am going to marry a UK citizen. The variation of my decree nisi is getting messy now, and my ex wants to stop paying maintenance all together if the kids are brought abroad, citing that the kids and him will lose ties/contact. I dont feel it is right. Looking after 2 children is not easy, and i really do not want to worry about finances too ! Please advise.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Fran. I still need assistance from one of the professionals. Both my lawyers and myself feel it is not right for the children's father to be discharged of his financial obligation in the event the children are taken abroad. Yet the children's father has engaged a senior lawyer who seems to feel strongly that 'how can someone pay for something which they dont know?' ie how can my ex pay child maintenance for children which he will not see or know ?



Thanks, Sue. We'll be searching for a family law professional for you.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The court will not remove child support from you just because you are moving with the children, the law does not provide for that. He has a legal duty to support his children no matter where they are located. The court can impose visitations and make you pay the cost of transportation, since you are the one moving them, but his request for stopping payment of support is not in accordance with the law and you need to file an objection to the court and he would in almost all cases be denied.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Paul. My ex's lawyer is trying to convince/persuade the judge to look at the estranged father-children relationship as a basis to stop paying maintenance altogether. Now that the children live 20 miles away from the father, the father is gradually taking lesser and lesser interest in their affairs, what more when they are thousands of miles apart.

The judges in Malaysia are quite dumb and I am afraid i need something stronger than that for my lawyer to use to convince/persuade the judge.. Please, is there any case laws to support this ?


Thank you for your response.

Generally, that will not work and if you prove that he is taking less and less interest that will hurt his claim as well. If he is worried about loss of the parent-child relationship, then the court will put a visitation order in place to make sure that will not be lost.

In these cases, they are all decided in a case by case basis based on the specific circumstances of each case and these cases rarely make it to any appeals court which is where written decisions come from. This is because this decision is based on individual facts of each case and discretion of the court. Your lawyer knows he needs to argue the facts and visitation rights on this.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116709
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you