How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 judgements against me filed in 1997 in Onondaga County

This answer was rated:

I have 2 judgements against me filed in 1997 in Onondaga County Clerks Office in NY. I went to courthouse and they have NOT been renewed. Their website states judgments are good for 10 yrs on real property and 20 yrs on person. Does this mean they can put a lien on a car title or repossess a car if I buy one? Can they garnish my wages?
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

A New York judgment is good for 20 years under CPLR 211(b). This means that they can enforce the judgment against you for personal assets like a car, wages and bank accounts.

What you are reading on the website is that the judgment is a lien on the real property of the judgment debtor (your home) for only 10 years under CPLR 5203(a). They can renew the judgment for another 10 years against your home to go a total of 20 against the real property as well. Since it has expired without a renewal against real property, you can own a home and they cannot go after it.

You unfortunately have until some time in 2017 to wait before you can be in the clear on the judgment for personal property.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

John Legal and 13 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you