How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118743
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a federal eeoc lawsuit against fema in Louisiana. My

This answer was rated:

I have a federal eeoc lawsuit against fema in Louisiana. My prior attorney left his firm and he may have missed case deadlines for me. I have a few questions regarding this.
1. Can I do a case inquiry myself to find out what stage my case is in or should I hire an attorney to do the inquiry? Average cost for this?
2. If my prior attorney missed deadlines and did not inform me is there any way to continue my case with some sort of refiling or appeal?
Thank you,
Kurt Melnick
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

1) You can do a case inquiry yourself only if you have your own PACER account, which you would have to register for with the clerk of court. The only other way to check is to physically go to the clerk of court's office at the US District Court and the clerk will look it up for you. To hire an attorney to do only this for you, some will do it for free if they are going to get the case from you and others would charge you about $200.

2) If your attorney missed deadlines and the court will not grant you leave to file out of time based on your attorney leaving his firm, then you have grounds to file a malpractice claim against the attorney and seek to recover from him anything you lost in your suit by his failure to act.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you