How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Lake Jackson TX I have a former bis partner that

This answer was rated:

I live in Lake Jackson TX I have a former bis partner that still has company property that he refuses to give do i legally get a court order to return the property

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

What is the value of the property? Can you prove it belongs to you?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the property is a large custom smoker valued at approx $4,000.00


I was build at our pipe shop for use during company bbqs and charitable fundraisers.


i have photos of fabrication and can possibly find material receipts.

I see. Thank you for clarifying the situation, Robert.

To obtain a court order requiring your former partner to return the property, you would typically need to file a petition for replevin. That is the type of suit required where you are seeking the return of property rather than suing for money damages.

Because of the value of the property, it would typically be easier and less expensive to file suit for money damages in small claims court since that court is designed to permit parties to pursue a legal action without an attorney. However, small claims courts usually cannot grant equitable relief, which is the type of suit involved in a petition for replevin.

If you file the suit in small claims court, it may motivate your former partner to return the property in order to avoid a judgment against him. If not, then a suit for replevin would typically be necessary.

Here is a link which provides instructions on how to file suit in small claims:

Here is the code which permits you to sue for replevin. If that becomes necessary, it would be best to retain a local attorney to represent you in the case:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would the kansas statute also work in texas?


No, my sincere apologies, Robert.

I meant to provide a link to the TX statute. TX does not seem to recognize replevin as a equitable claim, so you would typically need to pursue a claim of "conversion" under the common law.

Here is a link which sets out the elements of the cause of action:
Tina and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.