How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I operate a jet ski in Michigan if I have a suspended drivers

This answer was rated:

Can I operate a jet ski in Michigan if I have a suspended drivers license in Ohio

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Hello again,

You are not required to have a driver's license in order to operate a personal watercraft (PWC). Under MI law, if you were born on or before December 31, 1978, you may typically operate a PWC legally without restrictions.

The owner of the boat could impose additional restrictions for insurance or safety purposes, but it is not typically required by law.

Here is a link which summarizes the law on operating a PWC:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, even if my Ohio license is suspended for a DUI I can legally operate a pwc ? Do I need a boating certificate or anything? What do I tell the dnr or sheriff if they stop me?
Hello again,

As long as you abide by water safety/boating laws, you should not be stopped. You can be cited by the DNR or Sheriff if you violate any laws, but you would not be required to obtain a license or meet other requirements before operating the PWC legally if you were born on or before December 31, 1978.

A boating safety class is usually recommended if you are not familiar with the state's boating laws.
Tina and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I have your contact information if my Ohio attorney needs to speak with you?
You can follow-up with me in this question thread. However, the site does not permit me to communicate with customers outside of this forum based on the TOS we both agreed to, so I cannot provide you with my contact information outside of this site. I'm sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
K. Thanks
You are very welcome and thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tina. Dud you get my question?
No, I'm sorry, but I did not receive a follow-up question from you. Please try posting it again here. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I was born in 1988 does anything change? Do I need to get/have a boating course certificate?

Also, what specifically should I tell anyone who stops me(sheriff, etc)?
The information from the site I provided above indicate that if you are born after December 31, 1978, you may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a boating safety certificate.

Therefore, you should not operate it without that certificate and can be cited, even if you do not violate any boating laws, if you do not have the certificate.

I can't say what you would tell anyone who stops you without knowing what they are asking you. Generally, you should cooperate with their requests. If they request a certificate and identification (indicating when you were born), you should supply that to them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again
You are very welcome. Good luck to you!