How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello-Im having problems with my 13yr old daughter. Her father

Customer Question

Hello-Im having problems with my 13yr old daughter. Her father signed away his rights legally(he didnt want to pay child support!) Anyway- I (her mom) I had to have a friend sign on as a "guardian" since I didn't earn enough money & i have health issues.
She's acting out now. The guardian person has spoiled her against all my pleadings & endless discussions that go no where. He pretty much does what he wants saying "Im her parent" Which really gets me heated up since I don't view him as a parent. In the beginning he signed on saying it was to help me because he cared & wanted us both near him. So he managed to make me dependent on him over the yrs-because of my health problems. My question is do I have more rights as her mother than he does as a guardian or are they equal rights?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you signed him on as guardian, you have rights to sign him off as guardian and sign someone else on. Under the US Supreme Court ruling in Troxel v. Granville, the court held that the parent has a fundamental right as to how to raise their child unless the parent is found to be unfit to do so.

Thus, if you have not been deemed an unfit parent, you have the fundamental right to decide what is best for your child and you can also remove the guardian and replace them with someone else if you choose to do so.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.