How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My lawyer has had my case for 8 months and he will not move

Customer Question

My lawyer has had my case for 8 months and he will not move forward with my insurance case. I call him once a week and he has numerous excuses or blames the opposing lawyer. This just isn't fair. Who do I report this borderline unethical behavior to? I've contacted other lawyers to take this case, but they don't want somebody's leftovers. I'm so frustrated. What should I do? Elizabeth
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question


I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to
providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating


I am sorry that you are having such a time with your attorney


I need to know what state you are in to answer your question, please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The case is based in West Virginia. The long and short of it is my ex husband kept me on his life insurance policy as the beneficiary of $100,000.00. His son and my son (by previous marriage) were listed as the contingency's. Because some states automatically deny ex-spouses from any benefits, my step son is trying to do the same, although that is not the situation in WV. We have filed the response to an interpleadary, but my step son has not. My lawyer said we had 20 days to respond, which we did. My step son still hasn't and it's been nearly 2 months. We have a case number, but absolutely no activity. My lawyer even told me "this is not a priority". Well, it is to me! Now my lawyer is saying it may "take years". What the heck??? I think these two lawyers should be reported somewhere. This just is not fair.

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Yes. I suggest that you will want to report this to the WVA Bar Associaton and file a grievance for the behavior and a fee dispute

Here is that contact information

Click that blue link and fill out the complaint form

Be sure to have it Notarized and do not sign unless in front of that Notary.