How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

My son, age 15, is going with a university group on a trip to Europe. The Director wants a permission letter from me to enable him to seek medical attention for my son, if needed. No problem. But what should be the contents of the letter? Should I attach a copy of my driver's license to prove I am his mother? Should I include a copy of my son's ID? My son is a diabetic, so there is an urgency to get the letter written correctly. Thanks.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

I hope this message finds you well. The permission letter should be notarized at the very least to be of any real legal significance. It should also clearly state, for clarity purposes if nothing else, that you son has a medical condition and what the medical is as well as how it is medicated. You need to have your name, address and probably two contact numbers on it as well (land line and cell line). While not necessary, a photocopy of your ID and your son's ID as well as a photocopy of his birth certificate could also be attach in an abundance of caution.


In short, I would rather send a letter giving medical power of decision over my child that is too thick, than have a hospital in Paris refuse treatment because the adult with the child does not have enough paperwork to prove who he or she is in the circumstance.


So, a quick list:

- Notarized signature and date

- disclosure of medical condition and relevant treatments for maintenance;

- your contact information, including name, address and two phone numbers (if possible);

- Not necessary, but maybe useful, photo copies of your ID, his ID and his birth certificate. (Be sure to redact any social security information though).


That should about do it.


Let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.

I wish you (and your son) the best going forward.

Delta-Lawyer and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you