How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I secured a lawyer in Jan 2013 for $2000.00, I have rough drafts

This answer was rated:

I secured a lawyer in Jan 2013 for $2000.00, I have rough drafts on my computer with someone elses info also getting a divorce, the rough draft has her maiden name, the name of her bank and the amount in it, evidently she lives nearby. I went to the lawyers and demanded my money back and they only gave it when I said I had another clients personal information.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

I am sorry to hear this happened to you. Do you have a legal question for me today?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hired this firm to represent me in a divorce, the paralegal e-mailed me a draft to review, most of the information was inaccurate and had another woman's divorce papers sent to me, the name was wrong (she was taking back her maiden name, her bank name was Wells Fargo with 12,000 in it, also it says they are representing my husband and I am pro se. I was mistaken I paid them 2300.00. My payment was made on 1-13-12, is there a stsue of limitation on this kind of lawsuit? I have a lot of information about this woman and could contact her at any time.

I see. Thank you for providing this additional information, Deb.

There is typically a 4 year statute of limitations on an invasion of privacy claim which includes publication of private facts under FL law.

Therefore, the client whose personal information was released to you could sue the firm for damages up to 4 years after the wrongful conduct normally.

Here is a link to a case setting the applicable statute of limitations for this type of claim:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks but can I sue? I don't know if she received my information

Hello again, Deb.

You could sue if you have reason to believe your information was compromised and it could be determined through the discovery process whether that did occur. However, unless you have suffered some specific injury, the cost to pursue such a claim would typically be greater than what you might recover. So it may not be cost-effective to pursue legal action at this point.

Tina and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.