How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33553
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cared for my mother in her home for almost 6 years and handled

Customer Question

I cared for my mother in her home for almost 6 years and handled everything for her assisted living care. I took her to appointments, dealt with attorneys regarding disabilities pension and much more. My 3 siblings sis little to nothing for her care. Can I bill the Estate for the years I cared for her?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

You can file a claim with the estate but, generally, to be paid there must have been some kind of agreement for this to occur otherwise the judge is not likely to approve it.

JACUSTOMER-kygsifhk- : That's what I thought, but,my siblings have been very difficult since my mothers death
JACUSTOMER-kygsifhk- : I will most likely submit it and see if it goes through
JD 1992 :

You certainly have the right to raise the issue and any direct expenses you spent would be more likely to be granted by the judge.

JD 1992 :

The judge won't sanction you for it in any way, all they will do is deny or approve it.

JACUSTOMER-kygsifhk- : Would the time I needed to take off from work be billable?
JD 1992 :

Not unless there was an agreement. Again, you can try but it is the same.

JACUSTOMER-kygsifhk- : okay. Thank you
JD 1992 :

You're very welcome. I do wish you the best, this is the kind of thing that unfortunately happens too often. One child shoulders the burden and the rest aren't interested until there is an estate.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information. Also, issuing a positive rating keeps the question from “timing out” so you can return in the future if you think of a follow up.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.

Related Legal Questions