How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117456
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name isXXXXX am a victim of idenity thief . Someone

This answer was rated:

My name isXXXXX am a victim of idenity thief . Someone used my social security number to open online banking accounts in my name. They then had my direct deposit transfered to these accounts. They changed bank accounts when I had one account closed they opened another one . I had to go to social security ever month to make sure it was going into my account. When I confronted SS they said that maybe I opened the accounts and forgot about them. I have money in two banks that I can't get to. The other banks the money was withdrawn. I have a police report and idenity thief reports . It seems to me that since I never received the money they are still responsible for it. On my w2 form it is saying that I received all my payments which isn't true. Can you help
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

SS is nuts, they do whatever they can to avoid doing work. SS should actually be considering offering you a new SSN based on the identity theft of your SSN and use of the SSN in the frauds. You need to notify the credit bureaus of the identity theft as well so that they note it on your credit report to alert all creditors to double check any new account applications. If you have lost this money from theft it is a deduction on your income taxes. Unfortunately, this is the common run around people get in identity theft cases. SSA is responsible for handling the theft of your SSN and changing the number and also they should be assisting you in recovering your money that is in the accounts since it is really a SS fraud case for them taking your money.

Sadly, in these cases because SSA can be so lazy and uncooperative, they can force you to get a consumer protection law attorney to file an administrative appeal to SSA to force them to recover the money for you and to issue the new SSN to you because of the theft and also to sue the banks to recover the money in those accounts.

I am afraid that your legal recourses are now limited because of SSA laziness and you are going to have to take the banks to court and SSA to an administrative hearing if they will not work with you.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What type of lawyer do I need

Thank you for your response.

You need a consumer protection law attorney, which you can find at the same sites used by other attorneys, or or