How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have become good friends with a resident at a nursing home.

This answer was rated:

I have become good friends with a resident at a nursing home. I work there. He is ninety years old and i visit him alot. Now that im his friend, they told me i could not do any cares on him because hes a vunderable adult. He has his mind, and he enjoys my company. They told me i had to limit myself with him, and all im doing is being a friend. Can they do this to me and him if he has his mind
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

As an employee they can limit your relationship with this man to assure that there is still a boundary as the caregiver. This includes establishing rules that prevent you from taking gifts, becoming a fiduciary for him like a power of attorney, becoming a beneficiary under his will or engaging in a physical relationship.

You should have the freedom to engage in a friendship. The man does have the right under the patient bill of rights to choose who visits him or who he associates with so long as he is competent. However, the restrictions can be demanded on you so long as you work for the facility.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Legal and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you