How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33742
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 15 yr old was with some other kids doing fireworks at the

This answer was rated:

My 15 yr old was with some other kids doing fireworks at the park. They inadvertently burned a spot on a picnic table. One of the boys admitted to doing it .while my son was in attendance, he did not do it. But, I received a call from someone at the probate office telling me that my son needs to pay restitution in court, and that he will be placed on probation. ..???
What is the deal? He received No citation, no summons, etc.. but now they esnt him to come appear in court and pay restitution??? He doesn't even live in indiana, he is only visiting.. What dhould I do? No way am I telling my son to plead guilty to something he didn't do.... HELP!
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

I need you to be a little more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My 15 yr old son, was with a group of boys at a park in Indiana.

The boys were questioned by police, about a table that was burned on top. One of the boys owned up to doing it. Next thing I know, I get a call from a probate officer sayinghme and my son need to report to ? Place to plead guilty and bring $$ for restitution. My son was not at fault, and received No citation, summons, etc.

What happens if he doesnt show up? They are talking about probation, and stuff...??

For WHAT? He is supposed to return home to Louisiana this week. What are my options, or what can they do?

I'll answer your questions in the order you asked them but if you need follow up, please be sure and do so in this thread.

What happens if he doesn't show up? They are talking about probation, and stuff...??

Usually they will issue a warrant for him. Many times in juvenile cases they start informally requesting that you show up for a hearing but if you don't they then issue a warrant, file formal charges, etc.

What are my options, or what can they do?

What are my options is a pretty general question, but I'm going to try and provide as detailed an answer as I can.

Your options are really three. 1) Don't show up and see if they do anything, 2) show up without a lawyer and see what happens, and 3) hire a lawyer and let them handle it. Of the options, hiring a lawyer is the best way to address the issue since it is likely to result in the lease amount of consequences (possibly none) for your son although it will cost you to hire the lawyer of course.

What likely happened is that the other kids somehow implicated your son although it certainly could have been unintentional and the result of a bad set of questions by the officer such as "who was here" instead of "did anyone else do this with you".
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They can issue a warrant even though he hadnt been charged. He wasn't given a citation, or summons.?

ANd if so, can they come to Louisiana and get him?

They can issue an arrest warrant and charge him at the same time. No requirement that he be cited first.

They can go to LA and get him through the extradition process although I have never heard of them doing so on a case this minor.
Dwayne B. and 12 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you