Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I got a "In the circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois recognize:

Customer Question
Criminal or quisi-crimminal" and it...
I got a "In the circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois recognize: Criminal or quisi-crimminal" and it says im released on this bond but i never paid it. Do I have to pay it? and if so where do i go? there is no court date written on there or anything. What should I do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Legal
6/20/2013
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 4 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Is there a specific amount listed? Does it possibly say that you were release upon your own recognizance?

it says you're release on this bond does not require posting of cash or securities for bail. then under it it says $1,500

Brett,

Thank you for your follow-up. That appears to be a bond that is granted at your own recognizance, it is essentially granted as you own promise to return back to court and be available for the hearing. No additional fee is required, it simply means that if you fail to appear, then the courts could potentially file suit against you for the amount under bond. But you do not now have to pay anything further or schedule a payment option.

Good luck!

you say "fail to appear" where am i appearing at. there is no court date or anything.

Brett,

That is not provided to you right away--the courts will send you a mailing with your hearing date, or you can retain counsel who can contact the courts and find out where your case is listed on the docket. So far what you are describing is standard, the courts likely have scheduled anything for you, but once they will, they will inform you by mail or through your attorney.

Hope that helps.

Is there any way of not going to court when i get an attorney. I received it because I was driving while on a ticket. Would my attorney be able to negotiate something with the court.

Brett,

If you fail to appear in court, the judge can potentially consider you to be in contempt and even issue a bench warrant for your lack of appearance. Not appearing is unwise. You could obtain an attorney who can create a plea deal before you appear, but you must still show up or else the judge can refuse the grant the deal, and can possibly admonish, fine, and jail you later for contempt of court order.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney