How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27266
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working with an attorney that seems to be lying to me.

This answer was rated:

I am working with an attorney that seems to be lying to me. He does. To return my calls or emails. He has been paid his fees. It has not delivered on his promises. I have waited for three months and nothing has been done. He lied and said he was waiting for the paper work to return from my county court house in April and I called them today an nothing has been filed with them. Help, what can I do?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Your attorney does have a legal and ethical obligation to act in your best interest and keep you up to date, on the status of your case. If he is not doing so, it could subject him to disciplinary actions by the Bar Association. Moreover, you as the client, do not have to continue to use this attorney and can discharge them from representing you. Even though he has been paid, he can only likely charge for billed/earned work performed on your case. This is assuming the retainer and contract for services does not state it is earned on deposit. Of course, read the contract to see if you are entitled to a partial refund or if the attorney will be willing to give you one. It is best to try and express your concerns to the attorney and work this out but if you are unable to, would need to retain new counsel and consider filing a complaint, if a portion of your money is not returned. Here is a link with the process to file a grievance.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Since we are unable to talk with this attorney is it best that we send him a registered letter stating our concerns? It is a three hour drive to his office and I am certain that he will not be available even if we make an appointment.
I would first try and call him over the phone and then send an email. If you receive no response by the end of business tomorrow ( Friday), then you can send the letter on Monday. There is no need to go in person, to see him, when he can just speak with you over the phone or through email, as needed.
LegalKnowledge and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions