How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27602
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband had my vehicle which was titled to me. He let

This answer was rated:

My ex husband had my vehicle which was titled to me. He let his girlfriend...who is now his exgirlfriend drive it... she has since disappeared with it. I want it back. Do I report it stolen or do I have to find her and sue her or what?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If the girlfriend has disappeared with the vehicle and she can not be found, then it would likely be in your best interest to report it stolen. In an ideal situation, your could contact your ex-husband, advise him to find her and get it back and if not, then it will be reported stolen. The police will likely contact him and he will have to get involved, since he was the last person with permission to use it and allowed his girlfriend to drive it and she disappeared. Seeing how you do not know where she is, it will be difficult to sue her for damages and seeing how she no longer has permission to use and the car and will not return it, she is committing a criminal offense.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I report it stolen. When and if it is recovered. Will I have to pay any impound fees or anything? Im sure at this point it is neither insured or inspected. Should I report it stolen in the city or county of her last know residence?

You may have to pay the fees to get the car released but she would be liable to you, for them. As such, if she is charged criminally, she will have to pay restitution and if she is not, then you could go after her for damages, as a result of her action. Moreover, you may be able to go after you ex as well, since he was liable for the car, lent it without your permission and could have to pay for her actions as well. It is best to contact the police in the city where she lives since their may be different departments within the county, to handle the matter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great thank you.

Related Legal Questions