How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters dad just got custody of her after not seeing her

This answer was rated:

My daughters dad just got custody of her after not seeing her since she was 7 wks old she is now almost 4. I got in trouble with a unconstructive drug possession last year which is the only reason he even filed. I'm taking classes okus doin tons if volunteer work. What are the steps in working to get my daughter back

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. The main thing you need to keep in mind in approaching this situation is that the court is seeking to do that which is in the best interest of the child.


In the present case, it sounds like you are on the right track. Here are some things that you can do to help you get your daughter back:


- keep detailed records of your volunteer work and have those that you work around right letters of recommendation as to your fitness and character that you can give the court;

- if you are not undergoing drug tests, you should voluntarily submit to drug tests at least once per month if at all possible and keep the results of those tests to show that you are not using;

- have friends and family members write letters on your behalf as to your fitness, the changes you have made in your life and as to how good of a mother you are to your daughter.


You take these bits of evidence and you file for joint custody at a minimum. You need to be able to show the court that you made a mistake and have changed. There is typically a preference for a child to be with the mother...particularly a young female child. You have that going for you, but you need to be able to show the court that you are the best parent for the child and that impediments of the past are forever behind you now.


Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Best wishes going forward.



Delta-Lawyer and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you