How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34555
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement in mississippi on me for 477.00 but a collection

Customer Question

I have a judgement in mississippi on me for 477.00 but a collection agency say i owe 1637.. But court documents say 477.00 are they breaking the law reporting a higher amount to the credit agencies
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

They may be breaking the law.

The law that applies is called the "Fair Credit Reporting Act" (FCRA)

This law regulates the collection, dissemination, and use of consumer information, including consumer credit information

Under the FCRA, the collection agency must:

1. provide complete and accurate information to the credit reporting agencies.

2. investigate disputed information from consumers falls on them, and they must correct an error, or explain why the credit report is correct within 30 days of receipt of notice of a dispute.

3, inform consumers about negative information which has been or is about to be placed on a consumer's credit report within 30 days.

So if they are aware of the mistake, but continue to report? You can sue them for violation of the FCRA. invoke your rights, there is a process you should follow.

First, contact the credit reporting agencies (the folks who report your credit score) and make the complaint. You must do this in writing. Send them a copy of the judgment

That will start the process where the credit reporting agencies will contact the collection agency with the information you provide. The collection agency has 30 days to respond and fix this error.

If they do not fix the error? Then they are in violation of the FCRA and you can sue them.

The great thing about the FCRA is that it allows you to sue for lawyers you can sue them (for up to $1000) and get lawyers fees paid

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can