How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27261
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are having a mediation in mid July. Wife is asking that

This answer was rated:

We are having a mediation in mid July. Wife is asking that she be allowed to enter home she's been out of for 1 year. She claims that she needs to take inventory to prepare for mediation. When she left she took 90% of our joint property.

She also states that she wants her mother and brother to accompany her as witnesses.

I don't feel comfortable at all with her friends nor family entering my home.

I would prefer that if she needs a witness that instead we have her accompanied by the sheriff. Can I demand this?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. What is her concern about entering the home alone, with just you present? Has there been any history of violence or any problems, if it is just the two of you together? Also, what does she need 2 witnesses for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Never been a problem. No history of violence while we were together. The only time police were ever called to the house was when I had to call them because she tried to take away my phone while I was video taping my daughter physically attacking me.
The other time she called the police to try to have me put out my own house. Police told her there's absolutely no threat of violence. We can't evict a person from there home because you don't want to be married to him
Thank you for the additional information. There is nothing wrong with asking the Sheriff to be present, to oversee the situation, make sure nothing goes wrong and to put her fears/concerns to rest. As such, you could contact the local department and see if and when, they will assist. It is not guaranteed but something you can ask of them. If they will not assist, then you have just as much right to have someone present on your behalf, and she does on hers. The fact that she thinks she needs both her mother and brother present does seem a little unreasonable, so you could have one or two people as well, just so there is a level playing field, in the event that any allegations, issues or problems occur. While you can certainly ask her to cooperate with you, she is not forced to and neither are you, absent a court order. It is best to try and cooperate, allowing her entry into the home, with the idea that everything can be resolved at mediation, next month.

LegalKnowledge and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you