How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Knee surgery patient being charged for a physician who was

This answer was rated:

Knee surgery patient being charged for a physician who was not in the insurance system until approx 3 weeks after surgery. Insurance will not pay this $10,000+ fee for the physician. How can patient be responsible when it was the hospitals oversight? This physician was simply an extra person in the OR and not on the surgical team. Thank you. Karen in Illinois
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you did not contract with this doctor and he was merely in the room as an extra and not part of the surgical team, you have grounds to dispute the fee with the hospital and you can also seek to file suit against them for breach of contract for them charging you improperly for someone who provided no services and was not part of your team. You would start by filing a written demand to the billing department that they remove the charge for services never provided. If they refuse to do so, then you can seek to file suit against them for unfair and deceptive practices and improper billing for charging you for services you never contracted for and for a doctor who was not part of your surgical team and was merely an extra.

This is your legal remedy against the hospital improperly billing you for services not provided to you.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you ~ appears a lawsuit is in order
Thank you for your response. Yes, if you cannot negotiate this with the billing department first, you would have to sue them for their improper billing practices.