How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118164
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He broke into a store there were 3 boys involved. This has

Customer Question

He broke into a store there were 3
boys involved. This has been drug out for 4 years, he had to come here from Ohio last year to hear it was postponed. He can't move on with this over his head. How long do you have to wait on a felony charge in Texas.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Once he was charged with an offense, the Texas law requires that a defendant file a motion for a speedy trial to invoke their rights to force the DA to go to trial within 180 days. If not, then Texas has a 5 year statute of limitations for prosecution of cases and if the DA does not move on prosecution you could move for dismissal based on failure to prosecute within the 5 year statute of limitations. Thus, you can wait until the 5 years passes and file a motion to dismiss or you can get his attorney to file the motion now for a speedy trial and force the DA to go to trial or dismiss the charges within 180 days.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.