How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118811
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In North Carolina does the register of deeds have to keep a

Customer Question

In North Carolina does the register of deeds have to keep a book for the items that they record. I am mainly interested in a certificate the gives me the right to have my fathers income tax returns. I need the 1099's from 2003. Their was an account in my name too that i cant find. it was 36 million. The register of deeds in Forsyth county North Carolina wont give it to me. Is their a law that says they have to keep a book for this so that i can prove that they have the certificate if they wont give it to me. The will in the court house is fraud so that i have a hard time getting his 1099's. XXXX XXXXX XXXXXis the name to look up in the register of deeds. He died Nov. 26, 2010. The POA in the deeds is fraud to . The old/correct POA revoked the power to take bonds and make gifts. With the certificate they can not stop me from contesting the POA. What do I do to make them give me the certificate and old POA.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.
If you are seeking to challenge a will, if there are any documents in the recorder of deeds, they are public record. Anything in the public records must be maintained by the agency where it was filed. If you want information from the public records, you need to file a public records request in writing under the Freedom of Information Act. If they refuse to turn it over, you can file a subpoena for the information as part of the suit you have filed to contest the new PoA.
The law does not say they have to keep any book, the public records laws say they have to keep all publicly filed records, so anything filed would have to be kept in the public records files.
Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.