How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116709
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a Hospital bill a patient for ontpatient services two years

This answer was rated:

Can a Hospital bill a patient for ontpatient services two years after date of service,and insurance paid and co-payment as been made.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Ohio has a very long statute of limitations for breach of contract. When you sign into a hospital you sign an agreement to pay whatever insurance does not pay and that makes it a written contract in Ohio, which has a 15 year statute of limitations under Ohio law and the actually have 15 years from last payment to seek to recover for the bill that is outstanding. You do have a right to challenge the bill and make them prove the amount due and you can also negotiate a reduction in the bill, but by Ohio law, yes, I am afraid they can still seek to collect it up to 15 years from date of last payment.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.


I would like to know the best way to challenge these charges and make the hospital prove the amount due.

Thank you for your response.

You would need to get the amounts paid by your insurance and your co-pays and then you can demand an itemize statement of their charges to compare what was paid by the insurance and your co-pays to what their itemized bill states to compare the charges to go through them to determine what is and what is not a legitimate charge.

Also, on these types of cases, most hospitals will negotiate with the patient to reduce charges but you are going to have to go through what you have received from your insurer to show what they paid and compare that to the new itemized bill.