Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can I play online poker for real money in the state of ohio,

also, can I deposit money...
Can I play online poker for real money in the state of ohio, also, can I deposit money to an online poker site if I live in the state of ohio
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2013
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney

TexLawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Customer:

Hello?

TexLawyer :

Hi.

TexLawyer :

This is actually a very murky area of law. There are lots of unsettled questions, but there are a few things I can tell you.

Customer:

Excellent, thank you.

TexLawyer :

Online poker is probably illegal, as it is still considered a game of chance under the law.

TexLawyer :

I say "probably" because players have not yet been exposed to criminal or civil liability, so far, but many of the websites have been.

TexLawyer :

From a practical perspective, the risk you run is losing your money because the US Government seizes it. The odds of you facing personal civil or criminal liability are very slim, though.

TexLawyer :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

It sounds like you can not advise me with certainty that playing poker online in the state of Ohio will not lead to Jail Time or Criminal or Civil charges. I would not want to risk getting in trouble, but I do want to play. Having money seized online does not concern me, as long as I am not at risk for personal penalties or charges. So I guess what I am ultimately asking is this:

TexLawyer :

What I can say is this:

Customer:

Am I breaking the law by playing online?

TexLawyer :

No player has ever faced criminal or civil liability.

TexLawyer :

But, you could have your money seized.

Customer:

Would the government be within their legal right to charge me if they for whatever reason decided to?

TexLawyer :

In theory, yes. However, there have been hundreds of thousands of players before you that have not been.

Customer:

Ok, you have been very helpful, this service is awesome! Do you have anything else you could add with regard to my legal inquiry? Also, where do I click accept?

TexLawyer :

No, I think we've covered it. To compete the transaction, please "rate" the answer, using the set of faces.

Customer:

Ok, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX on this site constitute legal advisement?

TexLawyer :

We don't have an attorney client relationship, so no.

Customer:

Ok Thanks again!

TexLawyer :

It is for information purposes only, but I am a licensed attorney.

TexLawyer :

My pleasure! If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck!

Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney