How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid a person online to custom tailor a uniform for me in

This answer was rated:

I paid a person online to custom tailor a uniform for me in October and have been unable to contact the individual since February. I have spoken to others who had paid for his services in the past and have found that he has a long history of not providing the services he's been paid for and not issuing refunds. The funds were transferred through Paypal which only allows 45 days to file a claim. How can I get my money back? Would it be more advantageous to try to gather a group of his past clients to go after him?

Thanks for your question.

Do you know where the person is physically located?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I only know that he is located somewhere in California, near Los Angeles.

Where does the uniform get delivered to when you send it for tailoring?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My apologies, it is not an existing uniform being tailored but a new uniform being custom made. Nothing had to be sent out to the person initially except measurements and a payment which were sent online.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Unfortunately, this is a very hard claim to handle legally. Because the relationship was entered into over the internet and payment was sent through paypal, you would have to sue the person in California for return of the money.

Your Paypal payment is connected to your credit card. Have you tried contacting the credit card company to issue a charge back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The funds were transferred directly from my checking account to Paypal. The bank has told me that they are unable to reverse the transaction at this point.


Unfortunately, because the transaction is not linked to a credit card and Paypal is only responsible to initiate a charge back within a set time frame, your only alternative is to sue the person in court in California after identifying where they live.

This would likely cost more money than you actually paid for the uniform in the first place.

You could also attempt to contact the LA police and report this as a scam and ask for charges to be filed.
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you