Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have paid Rocket Lawyer 450.00 to register my company as

an LLC. I then...
I have paid Rocket Lawyer 450.00 to register my company as an LLC. I then registered an EIN with the IRS and applied for a DUNS number. I went into my email today and found mail from Rocket Lawyer in my spam folder that stated my company name is XXXXX XXXXX one already on file with the state of PA. How can I address this. This company had good reviews online but it feels like a scam now. When I phoned for follow up I was bounced around. Can I check this with the state myself?
6/14/2013
Barrister, Attorney
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
That does seem odd that someone wouldn't have checked with the Secretary of State first before going through all the effort of filing all the paperwork. Checking to ensure the name is XXXXX XXXXX Step 1. I have actually heard good reviews from customers here who have used Rocketlawyer for their document preparation, so I think your experience may have been outside the norm.
.
With that said, you can re-check the name with the PA Sec of State here to see if the name you want is already taken:
.
https://www.corporations.state.pa.us/corp/soskb/csearch.asp
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

.

Hello, Thank you for your response. I followed the link you provided and entered my business name and it returned that 'no records were found for search criteria Trillium LLC. Should I feel confident it is free to use?

Give me a second to check myself...
.
Ok, if you just type in "Trillium" then there are quite a few companies that come up with that name. Some are pretty close as there are a few that are just named Trillium. There is even a Trillium, Inc.
.
You can try to move forward, but the Sec of State may say that your name is XXXXX XXXXX to serveral existing entities so you may want to add something to clearly differentiate it from the others.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

.

Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, Attorney