How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102145
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If im planning to got merry a man from Egypt who is not a USA

This answer was rated:

If im planning to got merry a man from Egypt who is not a USA citizen ,what I need to do? How we can do it?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Can you please tell me:

1) Is the Egyptian national in the USA now, or not?
2) If he is in the USA, what visa did he come on?
3) Has he overstayed the visa, or not?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No His not in the USA


Thank you for your reply. Okay, do you plan to marry him in the USA, or abroad? Or, whichever is easier/faster/cheaper?

Or do you wish to hear both options?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I like to hear both options

Sure - no problem. Please hold on while I type out both scenarios; apologies in advance for the momentary wait.
When you wish to sponsor someone for Lawful Permanent Residency (greencard) based on marriage, you may do so two ways:

1) Marry them abroad and then sponsor them as a husband; or
2) Ask them to cover over via a fiance visa, marry them, and then sponsor them as a husband.

Both have related but different ways in going about doing so.

1) Marry him abroad (does not really matter where provided you can get proof of marriage);
2) Sponsor him using the I-130 petition - see here.

The filing fee is $420 plus miscellaneous fees, and the wait time is normally about 6-8 months on average. He should then get his greencard visa and may come over.

If you plan to marry him inside the USA, then there is an extra step:

1) Sponsor him using the K1 (fiance) visa - see here. The petition used is the I-129F - here. The cost is $340 for filing. The step by step on filing the K1 can be found here. Wait time is about 6-8 months on average.

2) Once he gets here, you marry him, and then file to adjust him on a greencard based on marriage using the I-130/I-485 package. See here. Cost is $1,405 for the I-130/I-485 package. He may work while the I-130/I-485 is pending if you send in an Application for Employment Authorization with the I-130/I-485.

An attorney for this is recommended - either way - and I can help you find one if you'd like.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Best of luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you