How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister found money belonging to our deceased grandparents

This answer was rated:

My sister found money belonging to our deceased grandparents on two separate unclaimed assets websites. She told my brother and myself about the money and said that she would claim it and split it with us equally three ways. She has since received the two checks and is now refusing to share the money. I have asked her repeatedly to scan the check stubs and send them to me, but she is now refusing to answer her phone and my e-mails.
Do my brother and I have any legal rights to this money?

Thanks for your question.

How long ago did your grandparent's pass away?

Are your parent's still living?

Was there a will that your grandparent's left?

If so, who was left with the "remainder" of their estate?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Both grandparents have been deceased for over 13 years. My mother, who was their only child passed away on Oct, 19, 2012. My parents are divorced. There is no will for either my grandparents nor my mother.


Since your mother, who was their only child, just passed away, the money is owed to all three of the grandchildren equally (unless your grandparents have any surviving brothers or sisters, then it would go to them first).

Thus, you do have a legal claim against your sister for 1/3 of the money.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Considering that there is at least $10,000 involded, will we need to consult a lawyer or is this a small claims case?

You will need to consult a lawyer. This is a probate case and must be decided under the probate code by a probate court. Thus, you will need to hire an estate lawyer to make the claim. Of course, the lawyer may be able to simply persuade your sister to turn over the money in the end with a simple letter. I would try everything possible before suing, as it will likely be expensive.
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions