How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my former attorney sue me (shes brought a civil case against

This answer was rated:

Can my former attorney sue me (she's brought a civil case against me for a 3000.00 balance) After I found out that she allowed unethical and illegal things to go on in the court room and did a horrible job, failed to do what I asked her to, I asked her to file responses and affidavits asked her to file several motions and I now have 10 days jail time over my head and was forced to hire another attorney. Should I hire an attorney to defend me?

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. Your former attorney does have the right to sue you for the claimed attorney's fees. However, you also have a right to file a cross-complaint for professional negligence ("legal malpractice") based on the errors and ommissions you have cited. I cannot predict the outcome of your suit, legal malpractice cases are complex as they require evaluation of the underlying case in addition to the instant case, but you certainly can bring these in response to a suit for fees.

William B. Esq. :

It is almost always better to be represented by counsel in a lawsuit (especially when you are facing an attorney), not that we are any smarter, but we do have a lot more experience in the procedures and rules, and can help you avoid the pitfalls associated with civil litigation.

William B. Esq. :

If you do decide to retain an attorney, check your legal services agreement with this first attorney, perhaps it has an "attorney's fees clause" which will entitle you to recover your fees in the event you successfully defend your claim.


I am going to contact attorney's tomorrow and report her to the ethic's board and file a counter claim. I could blow your mind with this case and the shit that's gone on, Thank you for the answer.

William B. Esq. :

You are welcome, thank you for using our service. I am sorry to learn of this unfortunate conduct, and I hope that you are able to get a successful resolution out of this matter quickly.

CalAttorney2 and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you