How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I live in Florida, can my boyfriend that pays the mortgage

This answer was rated:

Hello, I live in Florida, can my boyfriend that pays the mortgage on my property have any legal right to the house, if I were to end our relationship.
Hello. My name isXXXXX am Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Is the house and mortgage in your name only?

Was your boyfriend also living with you in your house for the last 4 years?

Did your boyfriend made any actual improvements to your house, aside from paying mortgage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the house and mortgage is under my name only.


Yes, he moved in 4 yrs ago. I had bought the house in '04 and he moved in '09.


He upgraded the alarm system the house already had installed. Outside sensor lighting.


No major improvements.


Thank your follow up.

Generally, your boyfriend might be able to pursue a claim for cost of the improvements, but not any contributions to the mortgage payments, as such contributions were made voluntarily by him and he also enjoyed living rent free in the house that is mortgaged by you.

It appears that your boyfriend might be trying to manipulate the situation and gain some leverage over you by making this empty threats and I would suggest that if he persists, that you do consult with a local attorney who would be able to inform your boyfriend that he does not have any legal claim to your house, based on his help with your mortgage payments.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you