How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a phone call from someone in California claiming

This answer was rated:

I received a phone call from someone in California claiming to be with state investigation, who told me there is a case being filed against me for nonpayment of a payday loan $ 500, taken out in 2011 because I did not respond to their mails, or emails. Although I have taken out payday loans in the past, to my recollection I have always paid them off, I have never received any communication re this. He had my old address in Florida, I am currently residing in North carolina and have always had my mail forwarded. The guy was pretty threathening on the phone and said if I don't pay 679.50 by tommorow there wil be a case against me. I am thinking this is a scam. Are there any recommendation that you would have for me on how to deal with this?

Welcome and thank you for your questions


I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard


Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

You have a right to have verification of any debt, that any "collector" is trying to get. This could be a scam. So I suggest that you can call them and tell them you need a physical address so you may send your written request for Verification of the Debt as is your right under the law. I suggest you do not have any other conversations with them. If they are legit they will give you that information so you can them write your request and mail it certified with a return receipt requested


If they stall you or try to engage in any way to get other information from you, tell them you do not believe they are legit and that they must immediately stop contacting you. Tell them if they continue to call, you will report them to the Attorney General for further investigation.

Sam and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you