How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33923
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the laws about common law in Texas. My husband has

This answer was rated:

What are the laws about common law in Texas. My husband has been living with his girlfriend on & off for the last 819 days. If he breaks it off with her does she have any legal recourse, part of his salary, etc? She owns her own home & has two children from her 1st marriage, now age 6 & 4. She can prove that he has been there, neighbors, etc.

JD 1992 :

Hi, thanks for asking for me. No, there is no recourse for anything since they weren't married. He can't be common law married to her if he is still married to you.

JD 1992 :

So that means this question really revolves around her right to live at that location. He has no right to live there any more once she tells him to leave since it is her house. However, if he refuses to leave she can evict him just as if he was renting the place from her. That requires giving notice, filing an eviction lawsuit, having him served, having a hearing, etc.

JD 1992 :

If he no longer wants to live there then he can just leave and all he would be responsible for is any bills that he has agreed to or incurred.


Thank you. I am trying to protect myself & my son's & my financial interests as my husband is a sex & love addict. Very sad.

Dwayne B. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you