How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 20 year old Norwegian girl moving to Virginia on the

This answer was rated:

I am a 20 year old Norwegian girl moving to Virginia on the 17th of june. I will live and stay with my family for one year. My father will go to a US military scoohl in Wash D.C. I made the stupid mistake of driving with a BAC of 0,076% a few weeks ago. My NorwegXXXXX XXXXXcense will be suspended for a not yet decided periode of time. There are som circumstances that may reduce the suspension periode compared to the normal standard. I read that if you are over the age of 21, your license will not be suspended in the US with a BAC below 0,08%. . I am under 21, but we do not have the "over / under 21 year" rule in Norway. In Norway you are allowed to drink beer / wine when you are 18 years, liquer when you are 20. In Norway there is a two year long "test periode" when you first get your license. I passed the two year periode with zero penalities and is considered a "grown up" driver.
Is there any chance that I can get a Virginia drivers license inside of my Norwegian suspension periode?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

That is a good question. To answer directly, the US does not share data with European nations pertaining to their driving history. Provided that you become a resident of Virginia and you follow their conditions on what identification is permitted to bring with you for a driver license petition, you could still apply for a US license. You would need to take the written and the driving test, bring a copy of your passport, a copy of a utility bill showing that you are a resident locally, and a copy of your visa documentation, your I-94 entry card, and that should be sufficient to apply for a local license.

Hope that helps.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you