How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20400
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive Social Security Disability benefits of about 1800/month.

This answer was rated:

I receive Social Security Disability benefits of about 1800/month. My young children receive an additional 900/m. My oldest child is now 19 and has severe bipolar disorder and OCD. His condition caused him to fail college 2 years in a row. If the oldest son apply for disability benefits, would his benefits reduce his brothers'? In other words, would he share the 900 with his other 2 brothers or get a standalone disability payment? Thank you so much.

Thank you for the information and your question. Your son would likely have to apply for SSI, since he probably does not have enough quarters worked to qualify for SSDI. That would be totally separate from your SSDI, which I assume is what you are receiving. His benefit would be for him only and would not affect the benefit that your other sons gets.

You can read more about SSI eligibility at:

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I am asking about Social Security Disability not Supplemental Security Income. Here is the website:

Adults Disabled Before Age 22

An adult disabled before age 22 may be eligible for child's benefits if a parent is deceased or starts receiving retirement or disability benefits. We consider this a "child's" benefit because it is paid on a parent's Social Security earnings record.

The "adult child"—including an adopted child, or, in some cases, a stepchild, grandchild, or step grandchild—must be unmarried, age 18 or older, and have a disability that started before age 22.

Thank you for that clarification. Adding him might affect the amount that the other son's receive. In other words, regardless of his age, if you are going to add him, there is a maximum total amount the family can receive. I was thinking he would apply for his own benefits. This is what the rules say:

Maximum Family Amount

Each family member may be eligible for a monthly benefit of up to 50 percent of your disability rate. However, there is a limit to the amount we can pay your family.

The total depends on your benefit amount and the number of family members who also qualify on your record. The total varies, but generally the total amount you and your family can receive is about 150 to 180 percent of your disability benefit.

If the sum of the benefits payable on your account is greater than the family limit, the benefits to the family members will be reduced proportionately. Your benefit will not be affected.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This means that he may qualify for $300/m on my record, reducing what his 2 brothers get from 450/m to 300/m each.

Then if he has no other income or resources, he would qualify for SSI. How much is that? What is the income limit to qualify for SSI?

Thank you.

I can't give you dollar amounts for what he would receive or what the maximum household income is right now. The SSA would have to do an intake with all expenses, household income, etc. to come up with the decision if the family income is too high and if not what his benefit amount would be.

However, you can see a discussion of the SSI income issues by going to:
Marsha411JD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you