How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was in a car accident two years ago and my innsurence went

This answer was rated:

i was in a car accident two years ago and my innsurence went out the day i was in a crash and the total damages were around $3000 and i was making small payments to the insurance company of the car i hit on the balance of damages. i have gotten into a financial slump an haven't made payments for a few months. i recieved a letter from a law agency saying i owe them and the insurance company $13,500. why would it jump up so high? can i fight it or bypass the agency and pay off the innsurance company?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

There are a few potential reasons. First, you may have had what is known as a 'stipulated judgment', or essentially claim where you admit to liability and promise to make payments for one amount, but if you breach that promise, you become liable for a higher amount plus court costs, attorney fees, and collection fees. Even without a stipulated judgment the fact that you breached is sufficient for the other party to seek attorney fees, court costs, and collection fees for the owed amount (although not to this extreme extent). You can still fight it and request a formal accounting. As for paying the insurance company directly, it depends solely on whether or not this debt was 'sold' to the collection agency or not--if the insurer still owns the debt, then you can still directly contact them and create alternative payment options. But if not, then you would have to deal with the collection agency.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you