How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38879
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The opposing counsel obtained a judgement against me in California

Customer Question

The opposing counsel obtained a judgement against me in California superior court. he did this after I was in Bankruptcy and had noticed the superior court of the automatic stay this judgement was for sanctions
He then motioned the bankruptcy court to be allowed to record the superior court judgement perfect the lien and start collecting the bankruptcy court ruled he had a right to violated the stay under re: Berg
but re: Berg did not allow him to perfect the lien he then went ahead
and recorded the superior court judgement which was against me as well
as other defendants and on the abstract of judgement he only listed two defendants who were not in bankruptcy,again my question is was this recording a perfection of the lien against me? Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If the plaintiff recorded an abstract of judgment without your name, he perfected the lien against the other defendants in the case, since the abstract of judgment does not impact you as the judgment against you was extinguished in bankruptcy. The judgment itself should have been corrected by the court once you proved to the superior court that the judgment against you was extinguished by bankruptcy and you need to file a motion to correct the judgment in the superior court to have your name removed from the court judgment. However, the abstract filed only perfects or files the lien against those mentioned in the abstract.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to narrowly focus on the part of my question regarding his

recording of the state court judgement with my name on it and the corresponding abstract of judgement which does not include me

If an abstract of judgement is summary of the concrete judgement

it seems to be defective on its face, or if the abstract of judgement is

controlling then should'nt the court judgement or concrete judgement

be reissued without my name on it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The expert does not seem to know the answer to my question or he misunderstood it
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

(intentionally deleted to protect the author's intellectual property rights)