How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an issue with the electric company.For years The walls

This answer was rated:

I have an issue with the electric company.For years The walls in the front hall of my three family building would crack in the corner of the building. It is old plaster and I took the necessary steps I would normally do to stop the cracking. Always painting the front hall and back hall at the same time I couldn't understand why front hall walls would crack and the rear halls would not. One day I was walking down the front stairs on a windy day, heard a pop the house shook and small pieces of plaster ended up on the floor. To make a long story short the electric co. had used my house as an anchor With a steel cable. A tech was dispatched and corrected the problem and confirmed the cable was indeed tight. After the lag anchor popped off the connection was about a foot away from the building confirming my theory. I took pictures, spoke with a claims person ,was given a claim # XXXXX was lead to believe that I would receive some compensation. Now I can't even get a return call. What is the procedure to take them to court and what court would handle this type of complaint
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If the Electric Company's equipment caused this damage to your house, since they were not supposed to anchor to your house without your consent, they are liable for the damage. Which court would handle this depends on the actual cost of all of the damage they have done to your house, which you have to calculate to determine if you can go to small claims court or have to go to regular court.

Either way, you will need an expert to examine your house and write a report and be willing to testify in court to that report, since these cases do require expert testimony in court to win your case. You also need to take photos of the damage.

Additionally, you need to send the claims department a written notice of claim detailing the damages you incurred and the value of the damage (you did not say the previous letter stated a total damage amount or not, if it already did, then disregard this step as you have already done it) and make a demand they pay you. As this is a property damage claim, all they are liable to pay is for the actual value of the damage, so that is why it must be determined before you can pursue your complaint. If after you write your letter they do not respond in 30 days to your demand, you can file suit and again depending on the total value of your damages it would be in small claims or in the regular civil court.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions