How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27222
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I put down a security deposit in the amount of $650

This answer was rated:


I put down a security deposit in the amount of $650 to apply to live at an apartment in rockville, CT. My application was denied pending a parents consigning. My parents wouldn't go for it because the place was a real piece of crap. I called the landlord a couple of weeks after hearing my application was denied and asked for my $650 deposit back. I have a receipt that clearly says "security deposit and application fee." I never gave them anymore money, never had my parents co-sign for me and never signed anything except for an application to rent.
They will not give me my money back. What can I do?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The landlord does have a right to charge you for an application fee and if it was denied, would not have to refund the cost of it. However, the security deposit is applied to and to secure the subject property. If the application was denied, then you would have a legal right for the deposit to be returned. Unless the co-signing was a condition previously stated, which you knew about and something that you needed to comply with and obtain in good faith, your failure to secure your parents signature on the lease, would not likely give him a basis to keep and deduct from the deposit, these alleged "damages" he suffered. Once the application was denied, you were offered the option to obtain a co-signor. You can not force someone to sign on your behalf nor are you obligated to do so, unless it was stated in the application. Once the application was denied, the landlord could have relisted the subject property and was under no obligation to wait to hear back from you. He did so under his own, wrong assumption and is now trying to collect damages. If he is unwilling to return the deposit, then you would have no choice but to sue him in small claims court, to recover what is owed. Had he found someone the next day to rent the apartment for more money, he certainly would not have told them they had to wait and he wanted to give you the option first, to find a co-signor and pay less. As such, he likely can not come back now and try and charge you for damages, for failing to obtain a co-signor.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you