How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27554
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I live in NYC but witnessed and reported a crime taking

This answer was rated:

Hi I live in NYC but witnessed and reported a crime taking place in Oklahoma City while I was visiting my sister there a few months back. She just received a subpeona for me to come testify as a witness for the state. The subpeona was sent to her address but I don't live there I was just visiting her ( therefore one could argue ineffective service of process). The charge is not that big - i.e., concealment of stolen property and I also never saw the face of the defendant since it was too dark the night of the incident. Could you please tell me if I am legally obliged to show up as it would be an inconvenience for me to travel to OKC next month. Also I've tried calling the OKC county DA's office to explain this but no one has returned my calls. Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The subpoena needs to be served on you. That is what places you on notice that you need to appear. If it is not served on you, an argument could always be made that 1) you never knew about it and 2) that service was ineffective, as you stated above. Moreover, you reside out of State. If the prosecution whats you to appear, they should incur the cost of flying you in and taking care of your expenses. The hardship should not fall on you, as a witness, who is helping the State. In a situation like this, if you fail to appear, the State will likely dismiss the case against the defendant. They may ask the Judge for a continuance to allow additional time to find and serve you and it would be at the discretion of the Judge to allow it and not make them proceed. Often times, they will try one more time to find you and if they can not, will just dismiss/drop the case and not try and go after you, for failing to appear. Moreover, you have made a good faith effort to try and contact them, advising of the situation and they have made no effort to return you call or figure out the situation.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you