BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

A business damage my property. the owner said they would make

A business damage my property. the owner said they would make it right now refuses to do anything. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, picketed their business and posted photos of me picketing. I have been very careful to be only factual for example saying this business of damage my property don't use them. the company's lawyer wrote me a letter threatening to sue me for slander how worried should I be I have done nothing wrong and only spoke the truth.

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight. First and foremost, the truth is always a true defense to slander. So if it is the factual truth, you will not be liable for slander.

BizAttorney :

Secondly, you can sue the business for damages in small claims court.

BizAttorney :

You would need to go to the county courthouse and file the suit against them. Then you would have to pay to serve it on them. Small claims court is very informal so you can represent yourself. The court doesn't make you adhere to all of the small litigation rules that exist.

BizAttorney :

Did you have additional questions?

Customer:

im only out 235 so is it worth it to take to small clames? what to do about the thret to sue me they say i have 10 days to send them 2000

BizAttorney :

Honestly, it is probably not worth the money to recoup $235. However, if you fear they may sue you in a state court, then you may want to strike first to put the case in a cheaper setting.

Customer:

what do i do about the letter from there attorney saying to pay them 2000 with in 10 days. would it be a good idea to goto small cc to protect me from the other lawsute

BizAttorney :

Yes, you are basically choosing your venue and striking first so that you have the power to control the litigation.

Customer:

thank you