Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I need an online dating attorney, I was dating a guy in Atlanta

who is an Engineer....
I need an online dating attorney, I was dating a guy in Atlanta who is an Engineer. He left for Malaysia on business and got stuck in that country that he needed some money in order to get him out of there. I paid that money but he has not paid me back. All monies were sent via wire transfers but not in his name, he used another person in Malaysia who had a bank account. We are talking of over a thousand US Dollars. Need help, he still communicates with me making promises to repay this money as he claims he was also screwed up by the Malaysian company who got him arrested on his way out after they gave hime a check for over a million as payment of his work. He was put in prison, I had to get him out of there also with my money. It is a long story. I have not met this guy but I have all his contact details and he still talks to me on the phone and I have his sms messages which he still responds telling me that he is still putting the money together. I also have the contract documents with the Malaysian company on my e-mail as an attachment and has his e-mail address which is still operational. Please let me know the way forward. ANNA S.
6/10/2013
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Just to be clear, you never met this person and only have spoken with them over the phone and via text? Also, do you know the company he works for and have you called to try and verify his employment? Did he ever explain why he ended up in jail, yet was paid $1,000,000 for his work when if he worked as an engineer for a US company, the company did not pay him or the money was not deposited into his bank account? Outside of his phone number and email, do you have any contact information as to why he lives or where he works?

No I have not met the guy but we exchanged a lot of family pictures before he left for Malaysia. He was to visit me in Arizona for Christmast and he was planning to relocate as we seem to have kicked off the ground well. He is a christian, his dad is a retired Roman Catholic Priest and he wanted to fly me to Holland to meet his dad and his two chidren as they wanted him to marry asap. He is a Geologist by profession and owned his own unregistered company in Atlanta. The payment made to him by the Malaysian company was done through a stop order that he deposited in his Atlanta bank and it did not pay. He was crying to me on the phone upon his return and still wanted to return to Malalysia to get this company before the courts. I paid for his airticket again and upon arrival in Malaysia, he found out the company had closed down. He had contact details of one of the officers at this company, he tracked him down and got him arrested according to his report. I am not sure if his return to Malaysia was to get all the monies that I was sending in cash and walked into the USA with that money as he could not make any transfers in his bank account while he was in Malaysia. I also feel that he was connected with these officers as all the wire transfers I was sending were sent to this officer bank account. Who knows there were still talking, when he returned to Malaysia, they shared the monies or he withdrew the currency in cash and gave this officer just a tip of the share. He makes good money through his contracts as a Geologist. He owns a house in Atlanta and drives one of the most expensive cars. I don't have his address but I have his e-mail address and cell phone number. He responds whenever I tell him I will be taking him to court. I also keep all his sms text messages with the last one sent over this last weekend.

Anna, thank you for the additional information. Based upon what you described above, I think this is a scam and he was never really in trouble. I think he will continue to try and get money from you, if he can and everything he shared with you, may be made up. It is likely that the pictures he has shared with you are not really of him and his family and he likely does not even live in the United States. If this may was so successful and cared so much, he would have paid you back immediately upon his return to the US. In addition, the money would have been sent to him and not some third party, who you have never heard of, who likely picked it up and walked away with it. Moreover, he would have likely relied upon his company and other business associates and friends to get him out of and help with this situation, if it was legitimate. You do have every legal right to go after him and sue him and would need to find out where he lives and works, so you could file a lawsuit against him, have him served and collect the money which you are owed. In addition, if this was a scam, he could face criminal prosecution as well. With only a name, cell phone and email address, you may first want to go to the police and see if they can trace the email and cell phone, to see who it belongs to and where it is registered. Then, they will see if this person even exists. The police or the FBI may look into the matter, since this person could have sought to scam you from the start, by making you fall in love with them.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Thanks for the quick response. How do I make a police report for someone who lives in Atlanta and am here in Arizona. The guy's telephone number is XXXXX it is a Georgia cell phone. Do the courts in Arizona handle this matter or I have to file with the courts in Atlanta. I really don't know where to begin.

I would start by contacting the police in the county where you reside and providing them with all the evidence. Like I said above, this guy likely does not even live in Georgia. It is very easy to obtain a cell phone with a Georgia number. Numbers and area codes can be cloned and programmed and the person does not even have to reside in the State. After you speak with your local police, call the police in the county where you think this man lives. If you do not have an address nor know where his business is located, this is going to be a problem and further evidence that everything he has told you is false. If he does not exists, you are not going to be able to sue him and it is going to be a criminal matter for the State and even the government to investigate.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
LegalKnowledge, Attorney