How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27992
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in Brazil, my son in US. He is 19 and starting his pre-med

This answer was rated:

I am in Brazil, my son in US. He is 19 and starting his pre-med course. He is a good boy, shy, trying to make friends. He was in a party and decided to drink a beer. After that he decided to go to the back yard. It seems like the way he took to the back yard was public. The police got him nd he received a ticket. He will have to present himselff to the court on Wednesday. I just left US and of course I am sad and worrying about it. I have dearest American friends that are helping in this matter
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern as a parent. If your son is a first time offender, he can appear in court and ask if they will over him any type of pre-trial diversion program that he can enter into, to get the citation/charge dismissed, so it will not appear on his record. Whenever a person is involved with the criminal justice system, it is always a good idea and in their best interest to retain legal counsel, to act on their behalf. The attorney can review the facts of the case and see if they have any legal defenses and if the case is worth fighting and going to trial on. If not, the attorney can work out a plea deal on behalf of your son, that is in his best interest. This is not something that will result in any jail time or probation, as a first time offender nor likely have an effect on his ability to get into medical school. However, it is something which you want to try and keep off your record, so it is always a good idea to have an attorney working for him and advising him, on the best way to proceed. He does need to make sure he appears on Wednesday and if he does want to retain an attorney, should have no problem hiring one today, who he can consult with and appear with Wednesday, when he has to appear.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thank you for your answer.

Please, excuse me for my anxiety and lack of English understanding.

So you think an attorney will be necessary?


What will be the consequences of what happened? Is he going to have anything in his name? He does not have a drive license yet and was trying to get it. Is there any chance he wont be allow to do it? Is there anything else to worry about?

You are welcome and I would be happy to respond. The consequences could be a fine, court costs, community service and having to take an alcohol education/awareness class. If convicted, this would be on his record, which is why I suggested above that he inquire about any type of diversion program offered, for first time offenders, when he appears. Moreover, if he is trying to get his license, this could delay the time period to obtain one, so he needs to be aware of that as well. While an attorney may not be necessary it is ALWAYS in his best interest to have one, since he is inexperienced with the court, the process and wants to protect his interest and future.
LegalKnowledge and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you