How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At the age of 63, I want to adopt my stepdaughter of 41yrs,

This answer was rated:

At the age of 63, I want to adopt my stepdaughter of 41yrs, her age is 52. She is in Washington State, and I am in Alabama. She wants to legally become part of my fathers family, and take his name, my maiden name. Can we do this online?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your question directly, you cannot pursue an adult adoption online. At some point you would need to both appear in court where the judge would ask questions and ensure that both parties formally understand and agree to pursue such a change. Because you are located in Alabama, then Alabama courts would govern this process. You would need to file a petition for an adult adoption and use the form below:

File this form at your county court, obtain a hearing date, and then have your stepdaughter visit and appear with you in court to finalize the process.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you