How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9334
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Should the County allow a deduction for the amount of property

This answer was rated:

Should the County allow a deduction for the amount of property taxes and home owners insurance when determining eligibility for food stamps and Medi-Cal?


I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No! I am still waiting for an answer but no hurry its not critical. urgent


Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Logically they should, but they do not. Eligibility is based mainly on income and household size.

May I ask in which County you reside? Is there a child in your household? I ask because there is more than one food stamp program, and there are other medical programs which vary among the counties.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No children and it is contra costa county. Can you also tell me how much money the county will allow you to get each month and still qualify for Medi-Cal or any other type of medical insurance.





































If a single adult has an income below $2724 per month, he or she is eligible for Basic Health Care but not MediCal. No children means a person is generally not eligible for MediCal.

With an income of $1816 or less the person would be eligible for LIHP.

Eligibility for food stamps is explained at

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9334
Experience: attorney at self
N Cal Atty and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If my insurance and my property taxes are paid by the trustee on my behalf and therefore the money is not in my account or in my hands can I still keep my house if I am on Medi-Cal. She used to pay them for me but now she has passed away and my income varies from month to month because my uncle is having issues with his payment to the trust and this is where my income comes from.

Thank you for the Excellent rating!

A person can receive Medi-Cal or food stamps even if the person owns a house.

Please let me know if that does not answer your follow up question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know I can own a home. The only way for me to be able to pay my property taxes twice a year is for me to save the money up. If there is a limit on how much money I am to have in my checking account of 2k per month then I would be over my limit if I save the 4k my taxes are and the 1500 for my insurance. Plus there are other maintenance issues which must be planned for such as the 14k I am going to need very soon to replace my back deck. I was just wondering if I have the trustee withhold these funds from my monthly check and pay for these items directly so that I don't have the money in my account if this would be a way to keep my Medi-Cal because if not I don't know how I will be able to keep my home. My preexisting medical conditions put me at a really high monthly rate for medical insurance and my medications are not even included in this fee. I recall them telling me last year 900.00 per month just for my medical insurance.

My opinion is that if you already a beneficiary of a special needs trust that is not self-funded, the trustee can pay taxes, insurance, repairs and other items related to the house without those payments being considered as income to you.


I hope this information is helpful.

Related Legal Questions