Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My rental company has placed a lock box on my door and will

My rental company has placed a lock box on my door and will allow strangers in my home for showings with or without my presence. I agreed in my lease to allow for showings. I did not agree that a lock box could be placed on my door with my children and I in this home. I have no problem granting access. Is this legal

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Did you agree in the lease terms that they could show the property without providing you notice?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO in the lease it stated that they would provide a 24hour notice.

I see. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX clarifying this for me.

The rental company appears to be breaching the lease agreement since the lease language comports with state law which typically requires notice and consent from the tenant as well. I would communicate a demand to remove the lock box immediately as you have the right to do as long as you remain a tenant.

If they do not comply, I would call the police and request their assistance in getting the box removed or remove it yourself if possible.

You can also file complaints with the state attorney general's office, the BBB, and state real estate licensing authority since the rental company representatives should be licensed by the state. These agencies may be able to assist you, but for the fastest results, you may need to retain an attorney to communicate a demand to them.

Here is a link to the AG's website:

http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/2336.htm

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

"Landlord shall have the right to enter the leased premises at all reasonable times for the purpose of inspecting the same and/or showing the same to prospective tenants or purchasers. and to make such reasonable repairs and alterations, additions, fixtures, and any other objects which may be affixed or erected in violation of the terms of this lease. Landlord shall give reasonable notice of intent to enter premises except in the case of an emergency."

Does this make the lock box legal?

A landlord usually has a key so they can gain entry, so the lock box itself is not a violation of the lease agreement. But using it to gain access at any time without prior notice would typically be a violation of the lease and state law, so if they are using it for that purpose it should be removed.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again.