How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My former girlfriend and I had three small dogs. I purchased

Customer Question

My former girlfriend and I had three small dogs. I purchased all of them. When we broke up, it was agreed that I would take two of the dogs with me and one would stay with her, but each of us would have free and easy access to any of the dogs. Recently, she has prevented my spending reasonable time with Joey, the dog who resides with her. I have never stopped her from seeing Dolli and Benji, who resides with me.

Can you help me solve this problem?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you have a written agreement with regard to the dogs? Has your ex given you a reason why she is not giving you access to the dog in her possession?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There was no written agreement.


She gives me no reason for not allowing me to have access to Joey.

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

I see. Thank you for clarifying this, Steward.

Without a written contract, it may be difficult (and potentially expensive) to obtain a court order for visitation unless your ex admits the nature of the agreement you have with her.

However, there are a couple of options that are often successful in resolving such situations. One is to agree to mediate the issue. This is a voluntary process and you would agree on a mediator to aid you and your ex in coming to an agreement, which you would ultimately reduce to writing.

Or, you could retain a local attorney to draft a demand letter to your ex, demanding that she abide by the terms of your agreement or legal action will follow. Most people do wish to avoid a lawsuit, so this demand may motivate your ex to abide by the terms of your agreement.

Which option you choose will likely depend on whether your ex is willing to discuss the issue with you and a mediator present or not. If not, then a demand letter from a local attorney is typically the better option, although you may have to follow through with a law suit if she does not comply with the demand.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Stewart,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?
If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:
Thank you very much and all the best to you.