How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boss hit me, and i have contacted a lawyer but have not

This answer was rated:

My boss hit me, and i have contacted a lawyer but have not filed anything yet. Can i get money from my employer without going to law?

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,


I am sorry to hear that you work for such a physically violent employer, You asked,




"Can i get money from my employer without going to law? "


Q. What do you mean by "without going to law" ? Please clarify




Thank you,



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not work for the company any longer after mutually agreeing that it would be impossible to have a working relationship after the incident. I am unemployed and feel that i want 6000 dollars for no having a job due to his actions. I was wondering if this was only possible by going to a lawyer and filing a suit against him to get a settlement. I'd rather avoid doing that, but by doing so is asking my boss to pay me for the end of my employment due to reasons not of my fault?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

I noticed that you already received an answer to your question earlier this evening. Were you looking for a second opinion ?




Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes please reply.

Thank you for your reply, Earl,


If I were in your position, I would ask for a lot more money, much more than the $6,000 you mentioned because first and foremost, this is an assault and he deserves to have criminal charges filed against him. You should file these charges as soon as possible because many times, when an individual waits too long to go to the police, the police will not believe that the assault was serious enough. Furthermore, if you have bruises from this assault, you would want the police to see the bruises first hand and to take pictures of your bruises. Nothing speaks louder than pictures taken by the police. You, also, should immediately take pictures before they heal.


You should then go to your doctor, so that if a medical report becomes necessary to your case, your physician will be able to furnish you with a medical report from his first hand observation of your injuries.


Simultaneously with going to see your doctor, you should also consult with an attorney with experience in personal injury litigation. Your former employer will know you are serious and that your injuries are serious enough for you to have gone to your doctor, as well as consulting with a lawyer.


When you have taken all of the above steps and the police will have arrested him and charged him with assault and battery and possibly aggravated assault, you and your lawyer will be in the best position to negotiate a settlement with the former employer. Depending on how large the company is and how important the aggressor is to the company, I would start the negotiations at about $125,000 to $135,000, then settle for possibly $110,000. However, I would not settle for less than $100,000. The former employer will be in a more receptive mood to a settlement if it means avoiding a possible jail sentence.




If I have not Answered your question completely, please use the "Reply" button to let me know and I will be glad to explain further,


Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I receive credit

for assisting you,



Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,





Andrea, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you