How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

17 years ago my boyfriend and lived together for 6 months then

This answer was rated:

17 years ago my boyfriend and lived together for 6 months then I moved. He stayed for a year and a half loner leaving an un paid utility bill of $925. The $925 bill was recently added to my utility bill. Is this leagal? Note, the utility bill was note in my name but because public record indi age I lived therr they are saying I am responsible.

Thank you for your question.

Were you on the lease when you lived with your boyfriend?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No and I was not on the occupancy permit either

So you were not a signatory on the lease, and you were not on the account with the electricity company.

No, this is not legal for them to charge you for this. You are not legally responsible for the electricity bill.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I told them all of this and because public re ord says filed taxes and had a drivers liscence at that residence I am responsible to pay the gas bill. They turned me off today. I was asked to prove that I did not live there. What can I do .? I don't have 17 years ago records.

This is very unfortunate.

You have two options:

1. Hire an attorney and sue the utility company for wrongfully turning your power off.

2. File a complaint with the MN Public Utilities Commission on the following page:

The second option is free of charge and may end up getting this resolved relatively quickly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

oh... the form u sent was a link to Minnesota I am in missouri

I'm so sorry!

Here is the correct form and website: